Title Sequence Clip Review
My initial impression of the impact of the opening sequences in films is that the first couple minutes of a film can really make or break the film and either sets the film up for success or catastrophe. I was surprised to find out how much work and effort is put in to the first couple minutes of screen time as well as how impactful it can be to understanding the characters as well as the plot. Foreshadowing and engaging interest in the audience are also key things that the first couple minutes of a scene provide.
One of the things the first couple minutes of a film provides is insight on the characters and plot. In the film Scream, we learn within a few minutes after the film begins who the main characters are and what the movie about. In this case you can tell from the music and flashy gory colors that the genre is horror with the phone call engaging interest with the audience. It keeps you on the edge of your seat right off the bat. In the children's movie, The Lion King, the opening sequence gives you most of the main characters as well as a good amount of details on the plot. In the article titled, “First frames: titles in the digital realm” the author talks about the movie Dirty Deeds and says, “They really set up the major themes of the film and set up the time frame as weft as being visually compelling.” This shows how well an opening sequence can engage interest.
Another thing the first couple minutes of a film provides is foreshadowing. In the article titled, “First frames: titles in the digital realm” Miles Merril talks about the films Run Lola Run and Kill Bill: Vol. 1. He said, “These sequences promise excitement that the respective films ultimately deliver on.” This is important because when opening sequences have a lot of action and excitement it often foreshadows the rest of the movie. A good example of foreshadowing is the movie JAWS as its’ classic and catchy, yet ominous theme music does a great job hinting at what's next. Another film that does this is Saturday Night Fever. It’s upbeat and high tempo music as well as the flashy colors conveyed throughout sell the excitement of the movie.
My current position on selecting film as my portfolio project is extremely undecided. I really enjoyed watching the opening sequences of all the films, specifically The Lion King, as previously mentioned which gave us basic knowledge about the movie in a few short minutes as well as Raging Bull which foreshadowed a large fight and got me excited about what was to come. However, I’m not sure a film is something I want to take on as it’s something I’ve never experimented with before. It seems very interesting and would certainly provide a challenge, but I need to do more research on both the magazine and film to really be sure what I want to do and to find out what I’m more comfortable with and passionate about.
Comments
Post a Comment